I discovered The Classics Club
via some kind of internet wandering probably a year or so ago, and thought about joining and promptly didn't. But I've been wanting to get more involved in the larger book blogging community for a long time and considering the goals of the broader Two Hectobooks project, joining The Classics Club fits right in.
WTF is The Classics Club?
A group of people who love classics and/or want to read more of them. More specifically, club members commit to reading 50+ classics in at most five years.
What end date will I aim for?
Well, we all know how ambitious I can be and how utterly I can fail at said ambitions. Hence I will give myself the most possible time and aim for October 23, 2022
What is a classic?
I hope to get into this more in a post next month, but for the purposes of this particular challenge, I'm going to define a classic as any book that's older than I am.
What am I going to read?
Probably mostly List books (but I'm going to be realistic and not include all of the remaining ones). If you take a spin through the items below, you'll notice that quite a few of them are classic sf. I've alphabetized everything and bolded List books.
- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
- Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
- The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow
- The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
- A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
- Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
- The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
- U.S.A. (trilogy) by John Dos Passos
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
- Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
- Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
- The Studs Lonigan Trilogy by James T. Farrell
- As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
- Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford
- Thursday's Children by Rumer Godden
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- I, Claudius by Robert Graves
- Roots by Alex Haley
- Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
- Three Cheers for Me by Donald Jack
- The Ambassadors by Henry James
- The Golden Bowl by Henry James
- The Wings of the Dove by Henry James
- The Star Diaries by Stanislaw Lem
- The Stream of Life by Clarice Lispector
- The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
- The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
- Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
- The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner
- The Doomed City by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
- Hard to Be a God by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
- Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren
- A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
- The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
- My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
- To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
- Native Son by Richard Wright
- Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
Post a Comment